Monday, October 23, 2006

Poor Prof. Property

About three quarters of the way through class, I developed a sudden case of Tourette’s and for that I apologize . . . but really, I was only trying to help.

Chicago: So what if I make a contract to go away for 30 years, can I have my mom go look at the Prop. . . .
Me: NO!!!!!!
Prof. Property: Mr. Swanburg?
Me: I take umbrage with Chicago’s line of questioning.
Chicago: Well, it’s relevant because I was talking to my mom on the phone and she was saying how she wanted me to marry a girl from Greece because . . . . .
Me: NO!!!!!!!!!!!
Prof. Property: Let’s move on.

Normally I would have let Chicago roll with it, but he was following a long line of confusion. The class was running an ill, heavily medicated Prof. Property through a Socratic gauntlet and she was struggling to stay afloat. To make matters worse, we had about 20 unexpected guests looking on in painful discomfort.

I took my phone off silent and prayed it would ring. She needed to kick someone out, if for no other reason than to get back on track. Unfortunately, I have no friends, my phone remained silent and class went on in utter disarray.

The class ended as it started:

Mark: “So what if you’re using the land for illegal purposes, can you still gain title through adverse possession?”
Prof. Property: “You mean like growing marijuana?”
Mark: “Yea, you know I was thinking of either that or maybe making some Moonshine.”
Prof. Property: “I don’t know. I mean wouldn’t you probably end up in jail if you were meeting the open and notorious requirement?”
Mark: I don’t know.

A painful reminder that it's not just students that get kicked when they're down.

UPDATE:
Sadly, I wound up in two quotes. One from my section the other from the afternoon.

7 Comments:

At 8:34 PM, Blogger ALV said...

Hey, I thought it was so good I put it in the title of mine, not just in with the random quotes. Special! Haha.

 
At 10:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

damn kid, there are an assload of blogs. out of curiousity, do any of you guys talk to each other anymore or do you just blog about crap that goes down during the day and then read each others blog?

 
At 10:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We've been redirected to post this here.

Oh wonderful! A couple quarters ago we lost the shady law school guy that would try to hit on every cute undergrad he saw. We were wondering when his space would be filled. Congratulations!

 
At 12:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm tempted to run out and get married just so I can change my last name and be in the other class. It sounds so much more entertaining than that A-K half!

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Jon Swanburg said...

11:12 - Bloggers aren’t generally much for conversation. Writing is our way of avoiding unscripted personal interactions and the awkward situations they tend to create.

11:16 - Thanks for stopping by. When you say “creepy” I’m assuming you mean, Confident-Respected-Exceptionally-Endowed-Person-of-Youth. The curly haired fellow with a pocket full of roofies is just around the corner at the TheBravestBear.

But if I may ask, where was this comment before it came here? I'm having a hard time imagining another forum where it would be somewhat appropriate.

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Jon Swanburg said...

Update: Looks like I just found where the comment was first posted. You were so right the first time.

 
At 12:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

not that u should care cause i really am lame, but i like ur blog too. good luck on larc!
-me

 

Post a Comment

<< Home