Tuesday, June 27, 2006

My First Mock Trial

You may be asking how I already have a mock trial. I’m only a little over 7 weeks into law school but I’m defending Mean Joe Greene. Tomorrow is the culmination of two weeks of preparation. 12 teams were assigned one of four roles and we are having 3 separate trials. I’m still not totally sure how it’s going to work but Prof. Torts is the boss and she says it will work. I’m obligated to believe her.

My role is a 4 minute closing statement in which I will say:
“Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, the evidence proves Mr. Greene reflexively bitch slapped one Mark Cockreil who is poorly feigning injury akin to a Portuguese soccer player. Please don’t let him collect Mr. Greene’s bling-bling; he don’t deserve it.”

Two weeks of effort, and I can’t say I’ve learned a damn thing. An anonymous professor said that this escapade will come back to haunt us. I hope anonymous professor was kidding.

7 Comments:

At 5:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. Yeah, have first-year Torts students put on a trial with full objections. Do you even know what hearsay is? This is beyond a LARC exercise where at least they plan and control the speed and volume of new law and new forms coming at you at one time.

When you see 1Ls wandering around the library looking for the Rules of Evidence, you know they're not mastering the elements of false imprisonment or contributory negligence.

I first thought that a visiting faculty member was better than an adjunct one. Now I'm not so sure...

 
At 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it was more like...retarded chimps in a courtroom...and a few habitual objectors. i used whatever knowledge i have from law & order...prof. judge was not amused when i prefaced my cross examination with: dun dun duh duh duh duh duuuuh duh, dun dun duh duh duh duh duuuuuh duh, beow beow beow beow dun dun duh duh duh duh duuuuh duh, doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo dun doooooooo dun duh duh duh duuuuuuh duh woooooooooooooooh dun duuuuh......beoooow beow beow.

 
At 10:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haley, are you mixing acid and speed again?

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger Jon Swanburg said...

Haley,
I must say, your knack for onomatopoeia is uncanny.

 
At 5:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's another

Kaboom: the sound of Swanburg's head exploding when he meets 17-year-old blonde triplets at the pool with a propensity for designer clothing and shallow relationships, not to mention a poor grasp of geography and the English language.

i AM talented...daaaamn.

 
At 7:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dont worry about that flat tire swanburg! haley is always glad to TAKE YOU TO SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah , just read "the torts game" about mean joe's trial
was trying to find out "the rest of the story" as the book ends before the real story
found you by googling mark cockreil

 

Post a Comment

<< Home