Saturday, June 17, 2006

Some Things Shouldn't be Fried

For those of you out of the know, George’s is home to Waco’s #1 Chicken Fried Steak, a Texas delicacy I managed to avoid till yesterday. It’s the lowest quality steak you can find ground up and turned into a patty of sorts. The patty is then breaded and fried in a vat of grease. Before eating, you are supposed to dowse your steak in a ‘white gravy’ comprised of lard, flour and a hint of pepper.

I wasn’t ready for it.

After five bites I threw in the towel, asking the waitress if she could bring me bottled water. She looked as if I’d pimp-slapped her grandmother. She went so far as to say, “I don’t think we have that here.”

Sally reluctantly found a water and several hours later, my arteries unclogged.

Skip the Chicken Fried Steak and go with the ‘Crazy Wings’. Chicken, wrapped in bacon, stuffed with cheese, jalapenos, and some other stuff. Those received two thumbs up.

P.S.

I know I’m a little tardy, but it’s still worth noting, Thursdays aren’t the same without softball. Watching the ‘Werebears’ gambol around the field never ceases to amaze. Many of my naïve cohorts misconstrued our ‘bye’ as a win but sadly such is not the case.

We are well rested and expecting big things next game. 2Q’s be scared.

9 Comments:

At 2:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm glad you found a place to use "gambol"...you sound so smart

 
At 3:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

as one of these "naive" teammates of his, i'd like to note that there are lots of competitions where byes are considered wins or half wins.

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger Jon Swanburg said...

I’ve ventured over to dictionary.com and I can’t find a single definition of the word “win” that would justify your statement. Stop spreading the cancer of hope throughout the ranks of our team T.J. We did not win and there is no event in the world where not being assigned an opponent constitutes a win.

We only beat ourselves, and as much fun as that may have been, there is no stat sheet to reflect that.

 
At 10:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man you are messed up. There is nothing ground about the meat in a chicken fried steak. It is a cut of round steak that is fried. Get it right.

 
At 12:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you me? They take the worst meat possible and hide it in the fried part. I will eat hot dogs and bologna, but I refuse to touch chicken fried steak.

 
At 2:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOU'LL EAT BALOGNA BEFORE CHICKEN FRIED STEAK? YOU ARE FREAKING INSANE......AND HOT DOGS? YOU KNOW THOSE ARE MADE FROM MAMMAL GENITALIA DON'T YOU??

 
At 10:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

back off the chicken fried steak California boy

 
At 8:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You lucked out Swanburg. You don't have to play the 28 Strutters. I guess the SBA decided to have mercy on your pathetic little soul.

 
At 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i heart CFS

 

Post a Comment

<< Home