Wednesday, May 17, 2006

I Spoke to the Man and He said the Future is Bleak

Dean Tobin & Friends invited the 1Q’s to a little soiree up in their suite. We were told to gorge ourselves on Dr. Pepper Floats and cookies; and that we did. I now feel like puking all over my Torts homework but while the others were exploring offices and stealing candy, the big man pulled me aside for a friendly chat.

Dean Toben: “So what’s your favorite class at Baylor?”
Me: “Surprisingly, CivPro.”
Dean: “Well that’s not all that surprising.”
Me: “Well for me it is. I was kicked out on the first day of class, but we’ve developed a good working relationship. I show up early and don’t say anything stupid and he lets me stay.”
Dean: “Ah wonderful, you have seen the worst of Baylor, and it’s a terrific war story.”
Me: “I don’t know if that’s the worst. Prof. LARC is the female version of CivPro and she hasn’t tried taking a shot at me yet. She’s already kicked one out and she is undoubtedly looking for lucky number two.”
Dean: “Oh that’s excellent, I’m glad to hear she fits in. You know it’s her first class at Baylor?”
Me: “Um. . .”
Dean: “I have been kicking myself over that cell phone that rang in orientation. I was in such a good mood, and he looked so sad and remorseful, I just let it slide. I normally. . .”
Me: “Yea, we were warned no hats, no cell phones and don’t be late.”
Dean: (reminiscing) “That’s a good rule isn’t it?. . .Yea, I should have kicked him out.”
Me: “He is one of the people that dropped after orientation.”
Dean: “Well I guess that’s probably a good thing.”
Me: “yea. . .”
Dean: Well it was great meeting you Jonathan, please come back for my other Dr. Pepper socials.
Me: “yea. . .”

Here are some quotes from today’s class:
“You see cattle heading down the road, 40% chance they are heading to McDonald’s”

“Mr. Swanburg is correct. He has been to less class then everyone else in this room, but he is somehow correct.”

4 Comments:

At 9:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats nothing, Dean Tobin pulled me aside and told me he once stabbed a student in the gut for sneezing durring a lecture.

 
At 9:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha.......what did he stab them with? a shank?

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger Jon Swanburg said...

I don't see him as the stabbing type. Maybe a break a few forearms with the death-grip he calls a handshake but Dean Tobin is no stabber.

 
At 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

since it's the summer quarter, i presume he is parading around the school in black jeans sporting a mean moose knuckle. yes? ahh..summer 05, i hardly knew thee.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home