Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Batter's up. . .

I’d like to cite a question from my CrimLaw text.

“Any person who, while intoxicated or drunk, appears in any public place where one or more persons are present. . .and manifests a drunken condition by boisterous or indecent conduct, or loud and profane discourse, shall on conviction, be fined,” etc., Code 1940, Title 14, Section 120.

Here comes the question:

“3. What if Martin had been arrested while sober but, while being driven to the police station, discovered a bottle of whiskey in the back of the patrol car and drank it, causing him to be intoxicated on arrival at the police station (assuming the station to be a public place within the meaning of the statute)?”

While you’re thinking about that I’ll give you the daily rundown.

My legs and sweat glands got a good workout today, my brain. . .not so much.

Prof CivPro: “You…What’s your name?”
Me: ‘J. .”
Prof CivPro: “Stand up when you speak”
Me: Jon Swanburg, S-W-A-N-B-U-R-G
Prof CivPro: “Who was the Plaintiff Swanburg? Close your computer it’s not going to help you now.”
Me: “In the first or second case”
Prof CivPro: “The case we are talking about”
Me: “Neff”
Prof CivPro: “Are you sure?”
Me: “Mitchell?. .Wait are you talking about Pennoyer”
Prof CivPro: “Ok Swanburg, so far you have named every person in the case. You’re going down, go down in flames.”
Me: Yea
Prof CivPro: “It wasn’t a compliment Swanburg”
Me: “I know sir”
Prof CivPro: “So who is it?”
Me: “Neff”
Prof CivPro: (after long delay and calling on two other people who say Neff) “Alright, let’s move on.”

45 minutes later it was all over. The storm stopped, the clouds gave way, and a beautiful beacon of hope came shining through.

Some memorable quotes:
“If your not going to think like a lawyer at least stand like one.”
“You seem enchanted with your ignorance Mr. Swanburg.”
“Stand back up, I’m not done with you yet.”
“Do you listen to Aretha Franklin Mr. Swanburg?”

I think I used “in rem jurisdiction” for everyone of my attempted answers and it wasn’t right once. Not even once. Otherwise fun times. On scale of 1 - 10, I give myself a 5 simply becasue I didn't cry or wet myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home