Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Don't Hate the Player, Hate the Game

The school-wide e-mail regarding intramural sports has a critical typo. You will notice for Thursday softball it reads, ‘Oral Advocates v. Werebears”. That is patently false. Possibly a smear campaign by our opponents but let me tell you, it’s a horrible lie. I do not know what a Werebear is and I don’t know how that became out team name but I for one am not a Werebear.

The 1Q’s have been debating between the law school appropriate, ‘Tortious Batters’ and the trendy Summer ’06 title, ‘The Walker Texas Rangers’. It’s a close call. After hours of contemplation and careful analysis I’m casting my vote for ‘Tortious Batters’ simply for the staying power. Granted, ‘Tortious Batters’ won’t apply to any sport besides softball but at least it will be timeless. Try using a Chuck Norris affiliated name next summer and I might as well step on the field wearing cut off jean shorts, a Von Dutch hat, and a Starter jacket. I for one will not.

I received some vituperative comments today prior to partaking in a lunch time catch. I heard such things as, ‘That’s ridiculous if you have time for a catch’, and ‘Are you really taking law league that seriously?’ In response to my first colleague, yes I do have time for a catch. I also have time to write a blog and I’m probably going to play tennis at 7:30. When a cute female asks me to do anything, I very rarely say no.

As far as serious goes, I think we care the least of all teams. The reason for our catch was entertainment, something akin to ping pong, or billiards. Don’t be scared. The 1Q’s may be intelligent, but in general our coordination is slightly exceeded by most special Olympians. We may not be able to run, catch, throw, slide, pitch or hit but we are 19 deep and after a few drinks I’m sure one of us is bound to get the hang of it.

7 Comments:

At 5:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was on the "Mass Debators" softball team way back when I was at Baylor Law.

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Jon Swanburg said...

Clever, I'll have to steal that. . .It applies to all sports, it is timeless, clever and law school related.

1Q Mass Debators. . .I like it.

 
At 6:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

screw all the "older" kids......if we can do our homework, play sports AND drink semi-continuously, then i think we are doing pretty damn good. now, if we can manage to do all three at the same time, toben might just give us our J.D.s right now.

here's hoping...

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Jon Swanburg said...

Need I remind you, we've only had two classes each of the last two days. Let's keep our confidence to a minimum. I have a feeling we will be part of the sad miserable people soon enough.

 
At 3:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

im just a hop skip and a jump away from sad and miserable...i am at like, discouraged and nautious.

 
At 5:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Werebears was written on your signup sheet. To several people it looked like "Queerbears" but we gave you the benefit of the doubt.

I hope we weren't wrong..

 
At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home