Thursday, February 22, 2007

Bar Review #5

Big Als is what Disneyland would be like if they replaced the rides and children with two pool tables, four dartboards and the coldest beer in town.

It was incredible how friendly the people were. When I walked in, Mario the bartender shook my hand and thanked me for coming. After telling me about their beer selection, he introduced me to the two young owners [neither named Al], and a couple of his friends. Everyone smiled and waved like was I was special. I don’t get that a lot.

They serve beer in Big-O style, frozen chalices for $2.50 or bottles for $2 . . . or there about. My memory on the subject escapes me.


They have pool and dart tournaments on Thursday, and from what I gather, most of the players aren’t very good. I played a game or two against Miguel and Angel and their play fell short of remarkable. Great guys that high-fived me with reckless abandon throughout the night but honestly . . . I could have beat them pushing the ball with my face.

The place has been open since December but the “Grand Opening” is this Saturday (I don't get it either) and everyone is invited. They’ll be having free barbeque, DJ’s and possibly a magician. Granted the magician is just the bartender pretending to steal your nose but it’s a good fucking trick.

Summary:
It’s a great place. Good beer, nice people, and walking distance from both the Law School and my apartment. In the big scheme of things I couldn’t really ask for more. They take credit cards but have a strong preference for Texas IDs. It’s a place I’ll for sure go back to.

Basic Ratings (1 – 10) or (Very Low – Very High):

General Ambiance: 7
Things to do Besides Drink: 7
Prices: 8
Bathrooms: 7
Friendliness: 10

Drink Selection: 5

Fear Factor: Low

Amount of Fun: High


*I don’t remember anyone having a camera so there may not be pictures of the event. At least the kind of pictures one takes with a camera. Fortunately, I’ve taken the liberty of using Google Images to find a picture of a stranger drinking from a similarly sized, frosty chalice. Enjoy.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 10:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You ruined it with the explanation at the end. I just assumed the picture was of Haley.

-B

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger Jon Swanburg said...

Haley wouldn't be caught dead with only one drink in her hand.

 
At 12:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

a bird told me there were pictures of enormous pickles and deep throating.

 
At 10:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

tell that bird to post the pickle picture...




btw you forgot to mention that they sell concession stand grade pickles behind the bar, as well as popcorn and chips...

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger Jon Swanburg said...

I do remember a pickle picture being taken and I do remember the party involved. She's got talent.

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger Jolie said...

Bar idea for next week: Hog Creek Icehouse is changing locations and this is the last week we can go to the old one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home