Thursday, February 08, 2007

An Osler Inspired Flashback

Osler’s post reminded me of this game I used to play back in the day when I was a young lad of only twenty. I guess it wasn’t really a game and it wasn’t really all the time, but for two weeks in undergrad, I dated this girl who wrote the caption bubbles for both the English and Spanish versions of the show Blind Date. Oh the good ole days.

I met her at the Malibu Inn. I said I was 23 she said she was 24. She said she worked with kids and told jokes, I said I went to school and turned joke tellers into stars.

We both kind of fudged the details.

I think we hung out three times. The first two we ate, drank and captioned. The third . . . the third went poorly.

Her: So how old are you really?
Me: How old are you really?
Her: You really don’t know?
Me: What do you mean I really don’t know?
Her: I figured you would have Googled me by now.
Me: (Grab my computer to Google her) Oh this isn’t good. You have your own website?
Her: Have you ever seen the show Last Comic Standing?
Me: (clicking website) Umm, not recently.
Her: Well I was on it.
Me: (webpage slowly loading) so you tell jokes on this webpage?
Her: It’s more of a bio ty. .
Me: (webpage loaded) YOU’RE A STRIPPER!!!!
Her: Well no. I’m a comedian; I just take off my clothes as part of the act.
Me: Wait it says here you were born in ’75. If I was born in ’84 . . .
Her: Wait, you’re only 20?????
Me: Are you quick with numbers, or did you Google me and discover my 8 and under swim records from 12 years back?
Her: Alright, well I guess I’m going to go.
Me: Before you go, I want you to look at my glabrous face and know I haven’t shaved in like two weeks.

And that was that . . . but the moral of the story had to do with captioning.

2 Comments:

At 2:01 PM, Blogger Jon Swanburg said...

As two side notes:
1) People seem surprised when I tell them I’ve never been to a strip club. The concept doesn’t interest me.

2) Google “Jon Swanburg” and you will discover that 1993 really was a great year for my swimming career.

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger Jon Swanburg said...

Yea . . . that’s pretty much how I roll. 3-1-0 isn’t bad for my cage fighting record but seriously, some of those recorded tournament rounds of golf are TERRIBLE. I wish they’d post some of the highlights, like the times I didn’t shit the bed under pressure

 

Post a Comment

<< Home