Sunday, October 29, 2006

If You Think Finals Are Bad

I was reading Deadspin and came across this article on merkins, which subsequently got me thinking about the worst test ever taken. If you don’t like clicking links and you’re curious about the definition of a merkin, you’ll just have to wait.

Here’s the story.

Maybe it’s just where I’m from but if you wanted to play high school sports in middle school, you had to take a couple proficiency exams . . . one of which required hairy genitalia . . . literally.

They give you a form comprised of five pictures, each picture corresponding to a number; one meaning Bald Eagle, five meaning Sasquatch. This form had to be filled in by a doctor, your mother had to drive you and you needed to score at least a three to pass. At the time, I was maybe an exceptionally awkward two.

I remember the drive to the office:

Mother: “You think you're going to pass?”
Me: “I hate you.”
Mother: “You’re not going to pass?”
Me: “How the fuck should I know I’m not a doctor.”

So my mom hands the nurse the form, I get sent to the backroom, next thing you know, I’m naked and an old man is taking a hands on accounting of my pubic endowment.

When I told him it was for golf, he smiled and circled a four. I pulled up my pants, smiled, and swaggered out of the office like the furry champion the chart said I was. Things were great until I got in the car:

Mother: “So you passed with a four.”
Me: “Ummm . . ."
Mother: “I guess that means your becoming a man.”
Me: “Let me out, I hate you”

After a long bout of silence and years of therapy I recovered.

Moral of the story: Torts and Property really aren't all that bad.

And in case you were still wondering:

"A merkin is a pubic wig, worn by prostitutes after shaving their genitalia to eliminate lice or to disguise the marks of syphilis. There are many different ways of wearing a "Merkin" although most involve placing the merkin on the vulva or the scrotum."

You're Welcome

19 Comments:

At 7:59 AM, Blogger Ryanlindly said...

What if you had a 4, but manscaped it down to about a 2? Would you not be able to play sports because of selective grooming? I want to say that sounds like fascism, but I have a feeling fascists would reverse the scale.

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger The Medievalist said...

This is easily the weirdest thing I've heard, let's say, in the last 24 hours. I was about a 2 when I played varsity tennis while in the eighth grade. But at my school, they didn't care about your merkin, you had to make the minimum weight to height ratio--no anorexics allowed. My mother fed me five times a day so that I could play. After awhile I thought everyone ate pork chops with brown gravey and mashed potatoes for breakfast.

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Jon Swanburg said...

Latham: Although manscaping wasn't the rage in middle school, I certainly thought about it as a valid excuse. I can't imagine the doctor arguing.

Medievalist: Your test sounds more reasonable. I'm still not sure why the doctor had to touch me. Maybe he was checking to make sure they were real?

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Poseur said...

OK, just for the merkin story, I'm linking you to the definition for mung.

I hate you.

 
At 5:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm disgusted but this is freakin hilarious!

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Jon Swanburg said...

Baker, do you see what you just did there? You brought this post down to a whole new level of degredation.

My word, "merkin" has been used in such great novels as, Vladamir Nabokov's Lolita.

"Although I told myself I was looking merely for a soothing presence, a glorified pot-au-feu, an animated merkin, what really attracted me to Valeria was the imitation she gave of a little girl."

Until you find me an author of note, who has used the word, "mung" in a sentence, I will be thinking less of you.

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Poseur said...

Wayne's World!

Wayne: Top 5 Worst Things You Can Get In Your Halloween Bag: #5 Mung.

OK, its not Nabakov, but still. Saturday Night Live is a program of note.

And you're just mad that I now have a framed photo of Bates.

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Jon Swanburg said...

You got me. . .Not only did you supply an adequate literary reference, you correctly pointed out the source of my rage. You win.

 
At 8:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This probably shows that I enjoy the movie "Hook" way too much, but didn't Rufio called Robin Williams, "mung tongue," during their cut down war at the Lost Boys dinner table? Can we confirm this?

If he did, I thank God that I did not know the definition of that phrase as a 7 year old child watching that movie. I would have racked up more debt from counseling than I will ultimately have from Baylor Law.

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Jon Swanburg said...

From Baker on down this was the most entertaining conversation ever.

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger Poseur said...

I can't believe I brought the tone of conversation quality down when the first comment was about manscaping.

I'm absolutely thrilled that "Hook" uses mung-tongue. BTW - its actual definition is the generic most disgusting thing you can think of. It's just that someone actually figured out what that one thing is.

 
At 12:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's some pretty saucy language to use with your mom at 13.

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger The Medievalist said...

Jonathon,
At least he didn't offer you a glass of white wine...

 
At 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am horrified at all of you. This is both the funniest thing ever, and the thing that is going to keep me up at night and make me gag at inappropriate times. My only hope is that if I throw up during T&E, I projectile vomit onto someone else's test, so I can continue and they can't. I'm aiming for you, Baker.

Oh, and I also hope it's not pea soup, because that would probably be a bad sign.

 
At 1:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

At 13 he didn't use saucy language with me. He did write an essay called "My f ing life" in order to stop swimming. His writing style hasn't changed much.

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Jon Swanburg said...

Why did I have to write an essay to stop swimming? Oh that's right. . .You wouldn't let me stop just because I hated it.

You're twisted mother. I know you're sitting at your desk right now laughing about the torture you put me through.

Keep laughing. One day, when you need a nice convalescence home you'll be sorry.

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger Jon Swanburg said...

My mother called to warn me that I'm a bad person. So I will just say that I was kidding about the whole convalescence home thing.

I will not however recant my statements on the torture. She once flushed my head in a toilet bowl when I was just a little boy.

She's lucky I wasn't old enough to call child services.

 
At 4:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And that is why you are now living in Texas going to Baylor - where fun goes to die. I didn't put you head in the toliet -just above it - you were thowing a temper fit and wouldn't stop screaming and yelling. I needed to do something to shock you - I guess the shock has lasted all these years. From now on I am only e-mailing you. Love, Mom

 
At 8:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had to take a final today wherein there was much discussion of public welfare, and every, every, EVERY time I looked at/wrote/thought of that phrase, my mind changed it into pubic welfare.

Damn it, Swanburg.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home