Monday, April 16, 2007

Rumor Mill

1) An anonymous 1Q claims that BLS has implemented a new policy that requires first quarter grades to be completed no later than three weeks into the following quarter.

2) The 1Q's somehow collectively blame FromMalibuToWaco for the punishment that is the Intro to Law class.

3) The WJC has started using the student lounge ping pong table as a pedagogical device.



While I find the first two believable, the third is a little much.

First, I see no mention of it on the blog and second, the ping pong table visual takes away from the obvious double entendre that is my pocket and the burden of persuasion.

Take these two hypos:

Hypo 1: (No visual)
Petra approaches me to observe the large bulge in my trousers. She asks if I'm hiding a small child, to which I respond, "oh no, that's just my burden of persuasion." Obviously this cues the music and love making ensues.

Hypo 2: (Visual)
WJC approaches to observe the small bulge in my pocket. He asks if I'm hiding a ping pong ball, to which I respond, "Yes, would you like to play with me?" He raises his finger, encouraging me to make love to myself, and leaves.

In summary, Hypo 1 facilitates happy memories of summary judgment; Hypo 2 makes me curse ping pong and anything it stands for.


Having siad that, anyone more or less informed than myself should feel free to chime in on the aforementioned rumors. We'd love to hear from you.

6 Comments:

At 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1) is almost certaintly not true
2) has a ring of truth (see your own civ pro curve)
3)On information and belief, this one is true. And I support the move wholeheartedly. Visual aids make summary judgment that much more fun! It's like a book with pictures, they're sure to remember it better.

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger EP said...

I am a lowly 1Q, and I can shed some light on these rumors.

1) Prof LARC did tell us that the professors would "do their best" to get exams back to us three weeks after taking the exam. Definitely no guarantees. Personally, I am in no hurry to have my self-esteem trounced into the ground. They can take their time.

2) I have heard no one allege that FromMalibuToWaco is the cause of the 1 credit course, Intro to Law. However, if it is, remind me to smack you Swanburg. Then you can help me write my obituary, which is due Wednesday at 2:15.

3) Prof WJC did use the ping-pong table in the lounge to demonstrate how summary judgment is done. Personally, I thought it was a damn good analogy. We actually had a prospective BLS student auditing our class that day. Poor soul: he's going to think CivPro is all cookies and ice cream.

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger Jon Swanburg said...

Dear Anon:
It's sad but true. On the Brightside, it's nice to think our CivPro curve potentially hurt others more than it hurt ourselves.

Dear Alex:
I'm actually surprised he didn't once again ask if you were taking notes.

Dear EP,

1) Self esteem is overrated

2) I love the fact they have you write obituaries. It's rubbing in the fact you want to kill yourself.

3) That auditor the will not only associate BLS with cookies and ice cream but likely the WJC with the second least sexy sport in the world. The first being bingo.

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Poseur said...

Not only did he use the ping pong table, he used a giant rubbber ball as a stand-in for the ping pong ball.

Sensing he might call on me, I got up right as he was calling on Bell so I could help count the votes for the SBA election. And steal brownies from the lawyer lounge.

All in all, I think things worked out well for me.

 
At 8:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trail once used the pool table as a pedagogical device. His advice was well taken and is published.

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Jon Swanburg said...

The big rubber ball kind of changes things . . . I'm guessing the WJC refused to have a Ping Pong ball represent his burden of persuasion for all the aforementioned reasons.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home