Thursday, June 28, 2007

Witness for Big Trial

Last time I witnessed, Prof. PC kept me on the stand for over an hour and called me a bad actor between questions. Today I had Prof. Bice and a deposition that read in part:

Q: Can you go into some more detail about your responsibilities as a welder?
A: Well, I was primarily a washer and dryer person.
Q: OK. So after that job, what did you do?
A: I worked at La Caverna Hotel as a maintenance man. I unplugged toilets.
Q: You unplugged toilets?
A: Yes.


Though the last seven hours spent staring at antitrust keep me from being the least bit humorous, I'll simply say I was truly impressed with the lawyers' overall improvements from PC I to now. In less than 18 weeks the people I saw have gone from an awkward learning stage to trial-ready advocates. So congratulations; it's almost over.

On a related note, if you're going to witness - as you obviously should - don't accept money. We will all have these trials at some point and karma is a bitch. Even if you're low on cash, a PC student desperate for a witness isn't the place to get it.

4 Comments:

At 10:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't seen any PCers offering to pay for witnesses, but then again I haven't been talking to all of them so I may have missed some. What they have been willing to pay for is for people to take their places as jurors in trials. In that case they should pay for someone to sit through 10 hours of trial.

 
At 10:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dissent respectfully from your view, Mr. Swanburg.
- If someone offers $$, that is good, I never demanded it.
- and $$ is sufficient for the large amount of time I will need to sit as a PC juror.

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Jon Swanburg said...

I agree that a person should be paid to act as a juror. However, it's my understanding that at least one person is making nearly $100 off of his various witnessing endeavors.

 
At 11:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Swanburg, I'm right there with you. I was offered (and declined)$20 for about 10 minutes as a witness. Ridiculous!

As for witnessing (I've never been a juror...sounds more involved...): I agree with your what-comes-around-goes-around comment, and I also found the risk-free exposure to the inside of a PC room to be valuable in itself. Besides that, whatever happened to just being nice/helping someone out?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home