Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Grading Policy

Since Prof. ConLaw took a few minutes to carefully explain BLS' relatively new grading policy, I should clarify a couple misconceptions.

As much as I've been emphasizing class averages, the goal was never to set the mean at or around 3.0 but rather to set the median at 3.0. The difference is huge. The goal was never to keep people from getting D's or F's; the goal was to have the 50th percentile student achieve a 3.0.

To maintain a mean of 3.0, the professor would need to give 3 A's for every F; 2A's for every D; and 1 A for every C.

In a class of 25 without pluses or minuses the grades would have to look something like below to keep a mean of 3.0. In this case the median student would obviously have an A.

A 13
B 5
C 3
D 2
F 2

That being said, Prof. ConLaw has taken a look at all the distributions and the new BLS policy is exactly what the administration intended it to be.

7 Comments:

At 7:10 AM, Blogger OsoDelSol said...

I had been wondering exactly how that was supposed to work. Thanks.

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Poseur said...

Wondering is an understatement. Oso has been sending me panicked IM's and demanding that I got to the bottom of this. My response, as always, is that I do not care about your grades.

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger OsoDelSol said...

Hey, I wasn't that specific. It was grades in general, not mine. Point in fact, there is no curve in existence that can help me.

I did figure there was probably something like that going on, but I'm not math-savvy enough to have worked out exactly what on my own.

Besides, I would think that you would be ecstatic to go put on your sleuth-hat and solve everyone else's problems. :)

 
At 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mean or median the ROJO standard is the same:

A= asshole
B= "buyahkasha"
C= Continue
D= Depart
F= Fuck why did I waste 3 mos. and $20k on this shit.

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger Senior Editor Red Andrews said...

Dearest Swan:

Your interview with that smokin' hot coed went much better than planned. Thanks again for toiling in the sun for these here BearMeats.
http://bearmeat.blogspot.com/2007/06/bearbacker-voices-swanburgs-poolside.html

Yours,

Red

 
At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If Prof. Fed Courts suddenly decided to explain cosmic string theory - and did - it wouldn't surprise me.

Badass.

Can you count the number of young badasses at Baylor Law?

 
At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Swanburg-

I'm sure you have a life outside of your blog, but incase you're unaware, I'd like to bring to your attention that you're slacking off on the frequency of your blog posts.

If you only knew the dissappointment felt by those who log on to see what you've said, only to find that you've said nothing. For days. Devestating. The workday becomes nearly unbearable.

In the future, I trust you will be more considerate.

Kindest Regards,
Bored

 

Post a Comment

<< Home