Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Moot Court Round 1: FIGHT!

The first round of the beauty pageant that is moot court has come and gone. How it went remains to be seen but I apparently move a lot when I speak and use a Bill Clinton-esque thumb throw with reckless abandon.

I was on the Due Process issue for the Respondent and as I stepped to the plate:

Me: Your honors, may it please the court . . .
Judge: Counsel, before you start, I'd just like to know why this court has jurisdiction to hear this case?
Me: Well . . .

My first thought was we waived jurisdiction pursuant to the rules, but figured that wasn't an answer. Then I got scared, like we weren't really in Texas.

Me: Jurisdiction?
Judge: Yes jurisdiction, why can we hear the 6th and 14th Amendment issues today?
Me: Well . . .

After thinking about that one for a second I remembered the 6th and 14th Amendments were mentioned for the first time on appeal, so I made a brief statement about fundamental due process errors, inferring the 6th and 14th and ran.

And then there was something about Bills of Exceptions. I smiled at the judge and twelve minutes later it was over.

In other news, I took a move out of "The Chicago Playbook for Getting Pretty or Not Pretty Girl to Pull Your Plow and Harvest Your Grain" and made +1 the California Rolls pictured to the left. They were delicious and she thinks I'm clever. High Five!



.

6 Comments:

At 10:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Swanburg, many moons have passed since I last attempted to impart my insight on this literary black sheep you call a "blog." We have even seens seasons come and go, as am sure you are aware Mr. Swanburg, today is the first day of Spring. If I may address your most recent post, i.e. Moot Court, from the tone of your post I gather that you are reasonably satisfied with your showing. A word of advice Mr. Swanburg, I beseech you not to grow complacent, for it was complaceny, not curiousity, that killed the proverbial cat. Please correct me if I am mistaken, which I must reluctantly admit is possible due to my limited knowledge of this "Moot Court," but I was under the belief that students competed in Moot Court under the guise of a team. I see no m ention of team member. Mr. Swanburg, need I remind you of the tragedy that befell Narcissus?

 
At 12:32 AM, Blogger Mark Osler said...

Hey, I once made sushi rolls out of proverbial cat. That's how we do it in Michigan.

 
At 6:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

prof. osler, you gonna judge any of the moot court rounds?

 
At 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've totally done the same thing, Prof Osler.

Only it wasn't proverbial cat, it was 'possum.

And it wasn't sushi, it was a casserole.

Cause that's how we do it in the south.

 
At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

squirrel and dumplings...mm-mmm good--now THAT is how it is done in TX

 
At 2:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

once i did made lunch out of roks and leaves on the ground.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home