Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Because it's Fun to Care About Past Mistakes

I went to the driving range earlier, only to come home and discover I likely failed the form grade in LARC.

Question #47 on the Moot Court Competition website reads: "How many spaces should follow a period at the end of a sentence?"

The Answer: "One."

This is news to me . . . tragic news but news nonetheless. I don't get how that is correct, it doesn't make sense. I am writing this paragraph with one space after each period and it looks all wrong. It looks horrible. The two spaces are critical to legibility and I will change that for no one.

Other mistakes I found today include:
- Improperly underlined cites.
- Failure to use an en dash on one occasion when citing a page carrying over into the next.

Fortunately, my dot-leaders are beyond reproach and that's all that really counts.

UPDATE:

A horribly embarrassing mistake was made involving the naming of a case. I want to hide.

9 Comments:

At 7:07 AM, Blogger TJ said...

only heathens, pedophiles and nazis use one space after a sentence.

 
At 7:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I seriously checked that little website compulsively and still the powers-that-be swooped in there and added crap after I finished. Me and my two spaces will never forgive.

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger Jon Swanburg said...

I'm on board with both Tom and Anon. but what the hell are you doing up commenting at 7. This is Spring break and a rule of thumb says you wake up no earlier than 10 unless you have big plans, and checking out my blog does not constitute big plans.

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Jon Swanburg said...

Apparently my blog doesn't acknowledge Daylight Savings Time so you were commenting at 8. Still too early to read.

 
At 5:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That stinks- I guess most of us were hosed on that one- but at least there are point limits for repititive errors- I think the max deductions was 25 or something! This is b.s.

 
At 6:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was trained to use one space after a sentence (I still do it now), and when I did moot court (lo these many quarters ago) they made us do two spaces. I remember this because I had to go back and fix it. I am neither a pedophile nor a nazi, but I have been accused of being a heathen on several occasions, so I guess the theory holds true.

If it makes you feel any better (and it probably won't), my formatter ate part of my section of the brief (well, actually, it ate the whole thing, we just caught most of it) and de-italicized and underlined three entire pages. ENTIRE. PAGES. So my case names just sat there and stared at you without any identifying features.

I still, however did not fail the form grade, so that's something.

 
At 8:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I guess it's my public school education or my profound heathenism but I have never heard of putting two spaces after a period.

Ramblin' Texan

 
At 9:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

there were worse briefs

 
At 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that last one came from the Law School gods. You're safe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home