Tuesday, October 10, 2006

That Was Interesting

Back in Middle School we use to have these things called “Canteens,” more appropriately titled, “Mini-dances-for-prepubescent-socially-retarded-little people.” The girls would stand around in circles and the guys would go into the gym and play basketball.

I only mention it because here I am 11 years later doing the same thing.

The event, “Pi Phi Football 2006,” was held at the Waco ISD Stadium; a monument to Texas’ passion for high school sports. So yea, after crossing another one off the list of things I promised myself I’d never do, the optimist within pressed forward.

From 7 – 10, the parent chaperones distributed pizza, soda, and cake, while the guys threw footballs and the girls gathered in circles. After lasting a mere 35 minutes Thomas and I escaped.

Granted the evening had its highlights. Like this one kid who smoked his friend in the head with a football in an effort to impress his date. I thought that was funny. And the pizza was really good. And I got a free shirt. And . . . yea I guess that’s about it but free dinner and a shirt isn’t bad for 35 minutes of self-loathing. As a matter of fact, I’d take that any day of the week.

Next on my list of things not to do we have: attending a Sweet Sixteen, followed closely by committing hate crimes, and engaging in online chats with Mark Foley.

3 Comments:

At 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have a hard time believing that there is a list of things that you were ever unwilling to do.........your descretion in involving daily life is seriously lacking. don't try to pull that "i have standards and pride" shit on all of us...we know it's complete b.s.

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger Jon Swanburg said...

Your right, I should have asked. I was thinking about going fashionably late. What a disaster that would have been.

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger Jon Swanburg said...

Haley, I was thinking about writing something really mean but realized I'm a bigger person than that.

I had originally typed, "My standards and pride are the reason I make you put a bag on your head" but later decided against it.

A perfect example of me using discretion in my daily life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home