Saturday, February 14, 2009

That Was Relaxing

Something weird happened in PR yesterday. As generally recalled below, the professor went from jokes and pleasantries, to a vituperative attack on a poor soul that asked the same question one too many times.

Maybe it was the shock of the unexpected, like the family golden retriever maiming its loving owner, but the event stands out as one of the worst verbal assaults I’ve been unlucky enough to hear:

Student: But I don’t understand how part (c) requires . . . .
Prof: Now you’re just pricking with me.
Student: No, sir. I’m really sorry. I was just confused.
Prof: When I answer something I answer it once. I’ve answered this question three times now. I told you the answer and you don’t like it.
Student: I’m sorry. I was just confused.
Prof: YOU’RE JUST PRICKING WITH ME! STAND UP!!
Student: I’m sorry. Really. I’m really sorry.
Prof: I MAY BE A NICE GUY BUT I’M ALSO A FEDERAL JUDGE AND YOU’RE NOT GOING TO PRICK WITH ME!!!!
Student: I wasn’t I was just confused.
Prof: DO YOU WANT ME TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION ONE MORE TIME?
Student: No, sir. I’m sorry.
Prof: I’M GOING TO ANSWER IT ONE MORE TIME BUT YOU BETTER EXPLAIN YOUR QUESTION IN A WAY I CAN UNDERSTAND!!!!!!
Student: You don’t need to answer it. I’m sorry.
Prof: WE’RE GOING TO TALK ABOUT IT ONE MORE TIME!!! NOW YOU BETTER EXPLAIN TO ME IN A WAY I CAN UNDERSTAND!!!
Student: I was just confused how . . . .
Prof: I ALREADY GAVE YOU THE RULE AND YOU DON’T SEEM TO LIKE IT!!! TO MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND IT, AND MAKE SURE YOU’RE NOT CONFUSED, WRITE ME A MEMO.
Student: Yes, sir.
Then it was over. The life had been sucked out of the room, the professor moved on to the next rule of professional responsibility, and the students were quiet. Five minutes later, the professor stopped mid-sentence to apologetically rescind the memo but the damage was done. PR has been added to the list of classes in which you should never raise your hand.

5 Comments:

At 11:15 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

OMG!!! It took him until the last day of class before he yelled at us. He told us it was OK to show up late for class, but that day I guess he changed his mind... but, it wasn't any where near that. At least the test will be easy!!

 
At 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a db.

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger passgravy said...

who teaches PR now?

 
At 7:02 AM, Blogger Jon Swanburg said...

The honorable Judge Kinkeade.

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger Jeremy Masten said...

That's really pretty amazing. I volunteered for the wrong case once (not the case I had read), and I really sucked it up. He didn't yell at me and he even thanked the class for not throwing me under the bus.

Did the student look anything like Ted Kennedy or any senator that might have needled Judge Ed when he was being confirmed?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home