Tuesday, April 22, 2008

I'm Not Passionate About Billing Hours

Of all the misconceptions about lawyers, the average salary is probably the biggest. For example, most business students think all law students make $3200 / week interning and all lawyers start at $160,000 / year plus bonus. I’ve had people ask me if I was prepared for the pay cut associated with entering the working world from the business side and I always try to tell them, the reality for Baylor students is something along the lines of this chart.

Compare that with this sadly female-unfavorable list and MBAs in most cases are better off.

And for those that like to dream big, billable hours kind of cap your potential. For example, to be a top 15 corporate lawyer in 2001, you needed to earn a mere $3.5M (and go to a top school).* I don’t know what the numbers are for 2007, but we'll assume they had a 10% annual growth rate and made $6.2M. Even then, the cutoff is a mere 1.3% of the $475M it took to make it onto the top 15 list of their hedge-funder clients.

I’m not saying I want to be in hedge funds and I’m not saying I need to make an annual salary of $400M. (it would be convenient). I’m just saying the odds of being wealthy and substance abuse-free are in the business world.

*In the same year, thanks to CivPro and the evils of tobacco, three Baylor lawyers by the names of John Eddie Williams, Walter Umphrey, and Harold Nix gave BLS students a glimpse of hope and a new school, earning a combined $38.7M.

3 Comments:

At 6:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this post, Swanburg.

If all else fails, I think I might just move out to Daingerfield, TX and tackle the next Big Tobacco.

BLS students (excepting the top 15%) have to think creatively in order to catch those "lucrative" salaries that pretty much anyone around here thinks of when you tell them you're in law school.

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Jon Swanburg said...

Let's just hope tort reform goes the way of the dinosaurs.

 
At 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clark- I agree stuff is rough- $62K salary median (?) is fairly low, considering we have to spend $150K to get this degree (in addition to whatever undergrad cost us).
Swanburg- unlikely on the tort reform, at least down here.
All the more reason we should all get MBAs. Well, in the words of the immortal Professor Bates, TBSS. This post provides more ammo for my assertion that going to law school is not the "silver bullet" many believe it to be.

- Chicago

 

Post a Comment

<< Home