Wednesday, February 20, 2008

An MBA Poetry Battle

Like other Baylor MBAs, I received an e-mail from a fellow student that read:

"[Blah, blah, blah] I got the idea to try and do a poem about everyone involved with LS2. As of right now I have one about Tim and Karam. If you want to comment and add your own thoughts, or maybe just read them, they are located at homepages.baylor.edu/riley_ross. To show my range I will include standard rhymes, limmericks[sp], haiku, I don't even care. If I haven't done one about you, don't worry, you're coming."

My first thought of course was to add [in my eye] to the end of his e-mail, but alas, if he wants a literary battle, a literary battle he shall have.

There once was a man named Riley,
That thought he was acting politely
When he started to flirt
By ripping the shirt
Of the mom he longed after nightly.

Your play, Mr. Ross. Detroit, what?

6 Comments:

At 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There was a boy named Swanny,
A skinny lad was he
He thought himself a poet;
A better one than me

His vocab is horrendous
His lexicon truly sucks
He can’t complete a sentence
Without a “bullshit” or another bad word

I recommend a thesaurus
You might like a dictionary
Instead of flapping you jaws around
Like mouth with dysentery

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Jon Swanburg said...

Damn, I can see the headline in Poetry Quarterly, now. "The AABA, CDCE, FGHG rhyme scheme: The Whackest Battle Tactic since Stream of Conscious."

 
At 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There once was an MBA baller,
Who’s stature was quite a bit taller.
His name was Shepherd,
And rhymes were peppered
If yall think you can hang with him “Holler!”

 
At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You’re a tall glass of water to drink
You think that your shit don’t stink
Dr. Grinols might be smitten
With the rhymes that you’re spittin’
But, in my rhythmic quicksand, you’ll sink

 
At 2:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There once was an Okie hill-billy,
Who’s corny rhymes just sounded silly.
A rapper named Riley?
Naw, that ain’t too likely,
Boy, you best hurry up and leave for Chile.

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Jon Swanburg said...

Riley the redneck
Versus Shepherd the bean pole.
Rhyming sans grammar

 

Post a Comment

<< Home