Wednesday, February 06, 2008

In-Class, Offseason Festivus

In an effort to teach the giving and taking of criticism, Prof. Career Management created a mind-bang of a lesson plan that went something like this:

Prof. Career: Jordan, criticize something about Judd.
Jordan: Umm, I know you're an idea man, Judd but a lot of times when you speak in class I'm like, what the hell is that guy thinking and where did that possibly come from?
Prof. Career: Terrific. It's your turn Judd.
That went back and forth for awhile with every student getting a turn. I had the unenviable task of critiquing a straight A female student without a drinking or sexing problem and she had the simple task of telling me I talk too much and send classes off course.



"I told this deer he didn't run fast enough and look what happened to him."

In the end, it was a class devoted to assessing peers and superiors to their faces rather than backs and in many ways an important lesson. It was just a hard way to learn it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home